NPCs and Inter-dimensional Sentient Slime

As part of the reveal of the story you intercept print-outs and phone calls from "somewhere" and although I had the printers done (They reveal the story in a linear way regardless of which order you find them in) , I had yet to implement the telephones. 

I wanted something special with the print-outs you simply click on them and they reveal the message all at once but with the phone I wanted scrolling text and I wanted the character to actually pick it up.


So I first had to establish what side of the phone you are on, then make the character walk to it and stop when it is colliding with it, pick up the phone and start scrolling the text. I got it to work really quickly and I am really pleased with the results too. Now I just need to place other phones around the building and we have a lot more story in place.


My youngest son gets a copy of the source-code every couple days for him to mess around with and mod and he designed this bizarre fifth floor with pink and purple wallpaper so I said would keep the colours from his version but turn the pink into inter-dimensional sentient slime. With the first pass of the graphics it came out like I had literally ripped the wallpaper off and it just looked ragged.


So I went back again an added more animated eyes (the kind of thing you would see in the old animated television show Trapdoor). They actually follow your movement around the screen, I also gave them some highlights which make it look a lot more "alive."


I have also made the NPCs able to navigate the entire building, except security and maintenance doors (that would make the game too easy if they could open them for you). There is also now some "slimed" NPCs which have become integrated with the inter-dimensional sentient slime.

I would say I am about 80 percent of building the core "game" which will leave me until September to improve the animation and interactions in the game so that is pretty good going.

Comments

Post a Comment