Saving the World

As development mostly takes place on Saturday evening / Sunday I have been able to implement quite a few things over the last two days. The first thing is a "Save State" which is more difficult than you first might think.  Not only do I have to save what is where but also what state things are in. Being held, in a cabinet somewhere or not been picked up yet. Surprising it wasn't too bad and I had some amusing results along the way, but it has all been patched up now. 


It also inspired me to randomise the world a bit all the NPCs change in appearance, the plants change, some of the corporate art on the wall changes. So every time you play the game will be a little bit different.

The second major overhaul was behind the scenes, every cabinet locker and desk was essentially all stored in separate arrays all with different names, initially to make it easier for me to test and locate. However, to make it a lot easier to create new spaces, without adding 72 lines of code each time and to compact the code I simply added it to a multi-dimensional array. I made a copy of everything and tried it before deleting the old code. With the new code, I simply add one line and a new cabinet, locker or desk and shazam!


With those two tasks complete and quite a few minor additions I decided to tackle the chemical mixing, there isn't loads of science in "Because, Science" but there is some pseudo-science chemistry. This allowed me to work in "LJR Cola" and the vendiing machines in the cafeteria. "LJR Cola" is one of the fictional sponsors in another demo game I made a long time ago, which was simply about "Large Japanese Robots".


Last but not least this popped on Facebook and reminded me that I posted it in 2016, anyway I am not sure what I was aiming for and not sure it will work it into the final game, but it is amusing. That is all for now.

Comments